Tightening of the chest, hot and cold flushes, racing heart, snowballing worries… these are just few symptoms of anxiety. It is everywhere. I’m seeing it when I work with my clients or talk to my friends and family members. I also suffered from intense anxiety and now I would like to share with you some good nutritional tips which can help you reduce anxious feelings in your everyday busy life.
Of course good nutrition is the key. Choosing whole unprocessed food and limiting your alcohol and caffeine intake is very important. Here is a list of foods which can have a positive impact on your mental health.
- Avocados. Anxious feelings may be caused by a lack of B vitamins. And Avocados are high in B vitamins.
- Milk and dairy. There are rich in vitamins B2 and B12, antioxidants, calcium and protein. Lactium protein calms blood pressure and potassium can relieve muscle spams. Warm milk with drizzle of honey may help you fall in sleep if you suffer with insomnia.
- Almonds. They contain high level of vitamins E and B2 which boost the immune system during stress.
- Oranges. Vitamins C lowers blood pressure and cortisol, the stress hormone.
- Salmon. Omega-3 fatty acids helps control cortisol and keeps adrenaline under control when you are stressed.
- Turkey. Contains tryptophan which is the precursor for the neurotransmitter serotonin, a feel good.
- Oatmeal. It also stimulates serotonin, the neurotransmitter that promotes feelings of well-being and calmness.
- Spinach. Full of magnesium that helps to control cortisol and maintain a sense of well-being.
Also make sure you have enough sleep and find some time for yourself during your busy day and relax. Be active, exercise regularly and enjoy sunshine every day for a while. It’s a great source of vitamin D and melatonin. And the most important thing at the end, spend time with your loved ones and have fun. Take it easy and live to the fullest :).