Water is one of the essential building blocks of life and essential for the human body to function.Our body is made up of approximately 60% of water, so consuming enough water is one of the most important things that you can do for yourself.
When I worked with my clients I realized that staying hydrated can be an issue even it is a simple thing. A lot of people forget have enough fluids during their busy days.
Recommended daily water intake is 2 – 3 litres. You should drink more water if you live in hot climates, working outside or doing vigorous activity. Always prefer plain water instead of soft drinks which are usually full of refined sugar and artificial additives. Other good options are also fresh fruit or vegetable juices diluted with water or herbal tea.
When your water intake does not equal your output, you can become dehydrated. Between symptoms of dehydration belong thirst, headaches, lethargy, mood changes and slow responses, dry or cracked lips, dark-colored urine, weakness, tiredness, confusion and hallucinations. On the other side drinking too much water can also damage the body and cause water intoxication (hyponatraemia).
Let’s have a look how you can easily increase your water consumption during the day:
- Carrying water bottle everywhere you go.
- Put your water bottle on your desk so you can see it and grab it easily.
- Mark your water bottle and know how much you have to drink during morning, lunch-time, afternoon and evening.
- Set timer on your phone to remind you to drink water several times a day.
- Make your water more interesting a slice of lemon, lime or orange or put in whole berries or pieces of watermelon to make a refreshing treat.
- Freeze a half-full bottle of water and then finish the filling the bottle right before you go out to have a cold water for hours.
- Choose water when you eat.